Friday, February 15, 2013

A character look: Alice in Wonderland








Dot got in on the action,as is her usual!









A character look-Alice in Wonderland
I referenced the Alice in Wonderland book by Lewis Carrol for traditional styling for the Alice character. She wore her blonde wig curled like the character with a blue bow, tights and a circle skirted dress reminiscent of the actual character. I could not get an authentic alice in wonderland dress in time so I used a dress and a skirt to create the look that I purchased from japan..I used a pack of playing cards and threw them at my model to get the photo just like the illustration from the book.
I thought that the babydoll eyes that are a feature of current Japanese make up trends, where girls try to mimic the big eye style with circle lenses and make up trickery to emulate characters that they identify with-would suit my character overall. I browsed in Japanese Magazines to find a wide eyed young girl look that suited the Alice in Wonderland character I wanted to create. I experimented with different hairstyles; for example in the Alice-the madness returns game, that had a brown haired alice, but ended up using a blonde wig in the end as my character went down a more traditionally close to the book route.My model was a blonde but she dyed her hair purple a few weeks prior to the shoot so I was glad of the wig!

Inspiration for the Look
My partner’s mother knows of my love for fairytales. This Christmas I received from her a necklace of the David Tenniel illustration from Alice in Wonderland. I took this image as inspiration for creating my final shot for this make up look of a character.




Research Materials
Alice in Wonderland (2010) – Tim Burton
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland)-a 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll
Alice- The Madness Returns Game by Spiceyhorse Games (PSP, XBOX,360,PS3 etc)
Various Japanese Magazines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...